The touristic potential of the Arad county is rich and varied, and tourists can certainly spend unforgettable moments here. Landscape’s beauty and diversity, together with the most important touristic and cultural objectives represents all attraction elements for those who want to closely know the Arad perspective. The element, that makes our city differ from other competing tourist destination in this part of the country, is the touristic potential which is concentrated on the historical and cultural aspects and the well developed business context which coexists in many of the touristic offers.
The Arad County is located in the western part of Romania, at the confluence of major European roads : no. IV European Road Corridor, which links the countries from West of Europe with those from South – East; the Fast Road, which connects Ukraine to Serbia and the European Railway section Paris - Istanbul.
It is bordered to the south with the Timis county, to the north with the Bihor and Alba Counties, to the east to the Hunedoara county and to the west with Hungary.
The landscape varies from plains and hills to low altitude mountains, (the highest mountain peak is The Hen’s peak of 1486 m height in Bihor Mountains). The Arad municipality is located in the Plain of Arad (which is a part of the West Plain), at an altitude of 107 m.
The climate is mainly continental - moderate, with slight Mediterranean influences (in the Minis – Maderat vineyard area and in the Gurahont Depression area).
The hydrographic network is concentrated around two major rivers: the Mures river which crosses the county in the south part and the Crişul Alb river that runs in the north – east part of the county.
From the touristic attractions of the county, we can mention:

The Mures Floodplain Natural Park Administration promotes a series of touristic activities with an ecological nature, so that environmental impact be as minimized as possible. The major tourist activities in the park are:
• trips on Mures river with kayak- canoe light boats which can be rented at the Arad Administration Headquarters or at the tourist information points from Cenad and Pecica;
• bike rides on the following routes: Ceala route, Arad-Pecica route through the woods and Arad - Pecica - German Sâmpetru - Cenad route which crosses the whole park from east to west; renting the land bikes to visit the park and these routes may be done from the Forest Ceala Administration or from Cenad and Pecica tourist information points;
• watching the free large mammals from the “Prundu Mare” Observatory and the birds from the “ Bezdin” Observatory, built for this purpose in the “Prundul Mare” Nature Reserve; the access to watching large mammal from the observatory is with fee and it may also be used when it is cold as there are conditions to heat the place;
• guided tours in the whole park, including thematic routes which include visiting: Water lilies Pond, natural stands of meadow, Hodos - Bodrog and Bezdin Monasteries or archaeological sites;

It is situated 2 km from New Bodrogu village and 15 km from Arad, being the oldest monastery in Romania with uninterrupted monastic life (from 1177). There is a legend that says that the monastery was founded because on its place, it was discovered an icon of the Virgin Mary with Child Jesus. Legend tells how a bull from a shepherd’s flock pulled the miraculous icon out of the earth with its horns, so in this place the believers built a small church where they put the icon. Hodos name comes from the Slavic name of "huduş" which means celebration, celebrate. Tradition states that Hodos would have been the name of the bull that had discovered the Virgin Mary’s icon.
The church inside the monastery is dedicated to "Entering the Church of Mother of God" (Nov. 21) and dates from the second half of the 14th century, around 1370 year, being built in a Byzantine style. Over the centuries, the church has been restored several times while retaining its original form, only the roof has received a baroque look in the 18th century.

Located at 36 km west from Arad, the Bezdin monastery is dedicated to the Assumption of Mother of God (August 28th - Gregorian calendar). It is one of the few preserved Serbian Orthodox monasteries in Romania, dating from 1539, with the founders being an important Serbian family called Iansici.

It is situated on the hill from Radna (Lipova), about 35 kilometres from Arad. This catholic monastery is known both in the country and abroad for the pilgrimages that are held here several times a year. It seems that the pilgrimages began in 1707. Legend says that the wife of a soldier from a regiment who stopped at Arad, was extremely ill. Shortly before she was dying, she had a lucid moment and said that the only way to escape the plague that haunted Arad, would be a pilgrimage to Radna. It is said that those who have listened to her and went on pilgrimage, have escaped of the terrible disease. The first church was built in 1520.

SOIMOS MEDIEVAL FORTRESS, strategically positioned on top of Zarand Mountains in Şoimoş locality, Lipova city, is visible from E 68 road when you approach the city. It was attested documentarily in 1278 and it was partially demolished by the Austrians in 1788. The cultural – touristic attraction in this area in the summer is “The Old music festival” which is held annually in the fortress in August.

ROYAL CASTLE FROM SAVARSIN (18th century) was built by the Forray noble family, renovated totally in 19th century , then bought by the royal Romanian family in 1943 and returned in 2001; the property is located in the center of Săvârşin locality and surrounded by a beautiful arboretum. Other tourist attractions to be visited in Săvârşin commune are: The “ Cuvioasa Paraschiva” Orthodox Church (1889), located in the center of the Caprioara village from Săvârşin commune, The Roman - Catholic Church (1875),located in the center of Săvârşin commune, where there are kept the funerary monuments of Zefir and Andrew Forray (1837); The “Holy Three Hierarchs " Wooden church (1782) positioned in Troas locality, Săvârşin commune, whose interior was painted in 1813 by Nicolae Bădău from Lupşa Mare, one of the most renowned painters of churches in Transylvania; the "Citadel Hill" archaeological site, located in Săvârşin commune, in the nearby wooded area, which contains traces from Bronze Age such as fortifications and settlements during 4th century BC-2nd century AD period (it is of interest visiting the site during the archaeological campaigns from June to September, see the museum site).

ROMAN CHURCH’S RUINS located in built-up area of Vladimirescu locality, Vladimirescu commune; it is visually marked by road signs, being the ideal place for outdoor concerts, such as “The Old Music Festival” that takes place annually in August. Other touristic attractions to visit in Vladimirescu is the rural ensemble, located in the center of Vladimirescu locality in the space around the two Catholic churches from the 18th- 19th centuries, and which has residential areas valuable architecture.

ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE located near Cladova locality, Paulis commune (on the right of the crossing between E68 Road and the county road to Cladova) in a place called "Hill Quarry." The site is dated between 12th-16th centuries; it also contains vestiges from Palaeolithic, Bronze Age, Iron Age, from a Dacian fortress which developed into medieval one, from medieval church ruins and traces of some metallurgical workshops, carved into the rock; it is interesting to visit this site during the archaeological campaigns (from June to September - see the museum website). Other touristic attractions to visit in the Paulis village would be: The Orthodox Church and The Great Valley which are located in Cladova locality, Paulis commune and contain a valuable rural architectural ensemble, all dated from 19th – 20th centuries.

LIPOVA TURKISH BAAZAR located in the centre of Lipova town (in the main square), dated from 17th century. In the town square at the bazaar, The Old Music Festival is held annually in August. Other attractions to visit in Lipova would be: The “Assumption of Mother of God” Orthodox Church, dating from 18th centuries, "Saint Mary" Franciscan Monastery, a place of pilgrimage for all Christians on 15th of August and 8th of September, being a monastic complex from 19th century that includes the church, cloister and "The Calvary Road". In the church, organ concerts are organized and the old music festival is held yearly; it is also worth visiting the centre of the town , which reminds us of the old settlements of craftsmen and merchants due to its architectural ensemble from 18th -19th centuries.

”AT FORTRESS" ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE is in Bulci locality, Bata commune behind the Mocioni castle near the Mures River; it was made up from a Benedictine abbey (11th -16th centuries ) and a possible Roman fortress; it is of interest visiting the site during the archaeological campaigns (from June to September - see the museum website); it is dated as an early medieval fortress, built in 9th-11th centuries. Another tourist attraction to visit in the Bata commune is The Mocioni Castle (19th century), located in the center of Bulci locality, surrounded by a beautiful arboretum.
RURAL ENSEMBLE from the centre of Neudorf locality (located at approx. 5 km from the centre of Zabrani commune), is a striking example of colonizing urbanism; built in a Transylvanian Saxon style, it is dated as urban style in 18th century. Other tourist attractions to visit in Zabrani commune are: The Catholic Church (1771), located in Neudorf locality, Zabrani commune, in the crypt of the church being the tomb of Maria Anna Ferdinanda of Habsburg Archduchess (1770 - 1809); The Catholic Church (1737) located in Zabrani locality, Zabrani commune; The central park behind the Cultural House from Zabrani which holds "good water fountain”, which gave the name of Zabrani locality, former "Guttenbrunn” (locality founded in 1724).

ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE OF THE BIZERE "MONASTERY" - located at 4 km from the centre of Frumuseni locality, on the road out to Lipova, the site is visually marked by road signs; this important tourist objective is dated as a Benedictine monastery from 12th – 14th centuries. The site is attractive by its figurative mosaics vestiges, which are valuable as they have an unique status in Central and Eastern Europe; it is of interest visiting the site during the archaeological campaigns (from June to September - see the museum website). Other touristic attractions in Frumuseni are: at Bizere, it is held annually The Old Music Festival in August and the Feast of Bizere, an unique cultural event characterized by a complex series of cultural and scientific activities organized during the two days caused by the closure of archaeological campaigns.

THE SIRIA MEDIAEVAL FORTRESS RUINS are situated in Siria locality, the car access being on a signposted forest road; for pedestrian access, it is recommended to use the path that starts behind the museum from Siria. The fortress was firstly attested documentarily in 1318 as a royal one, then it was bombed and destroyed by the Austrians in 1784. Among its occupants, there were: Iancu de Hunedoara, King Sigismund of Luxembourg, the Serbian despot George Brancovici, Matthias Corvinus, Báthory family. Tourist attractions to visit are: The” St. Archangels Michael and Gabriel " Roman - Catholic Church (1700 - 1769), located in Siria locality, Siria commune; The “St. George" Feredeu Orthodox Monastery, a monastery and monastic complex, the monastery dating from the 18th century and the monastic complex from 1992 (in 2000, the Holy Synod decides transformation of the hermitage into a monastery); The “Ioan Slavici” Memorial Museum and The“Emil Montia” Memorial Museum, hosted by Bohus Castle (1838), in Siria locality, Siria commune; The "Assumption of Mother of God " Orthodox Church, from 18th -19th centuries, situated in Galsa locality, Siria commune; The "Assumption of Mother of God " Orthodox Church, from 18th -19th centuries, renovated in the 20th century , situated in Masca locality , Siria commune.

ARCHITECTURAL ENSEMBLE, located in the centre of Pâncota town, built in 18th-19th centuries, is made up of several settlements: Schulkowsky Dietrich Castle (1825-1850, today it is the Pancota City Hall headquarters), The Birth House of Csiky Gergely (1841-1891), Ulan (Lancers) Barracks, Joseph Kaiser Haus (18th century) and the old inn post chaise (18th century). Other tourist attractions in Pancota are: The "Turkish Fortress" archeological site located in the city on the “ Plesuvul “ hill, dated as a Benedictine abbey, first attested documentarily in 1177; the site also presents a Turkish fortification built between 1565-1691; it is of interest visiting the site during the archaeological campaigns (from June to September - see the museum website).

THE INEU FORTRESS is located in Ineu town, dating from1295, being the first documentary attestation of a fortress in the town; the current construction was built between 1645 - 1652, after G. Haller’s plans; the city was renovated in 1870, respectively in the 1975-1976 period.

THE MEDIAEVAL FORTRESS RUINS, located in Dezna locality, on the "Ozoiu" Hill; the only access is the pedestrian one, from the Dezna’s exit to Moneasa, at the inn, following tourist marker; the fortress is dated from 13th – 18th centuries, being first attested in 1318; in 1693, the fortress was abandoned after loosing its strategic interes. Other touristic attractions are: The “Descent of Holy Spirit” Orthodox Church, in Dezna locality, Dezna commune, dated from 17th-18th centuries, The Catholic Church and parish house (1760), located in Dezna locality, Dezna commune.

Vinga Roman Catholic Church was built in 1892 in a neo-Gothic style in accordance with the plans of a well-known architect from Vienna and by the help of Bulgarian local community.

More details can be found by visiting:,,,